Cheney: It’s Just An ‘Urban Legend’ That I ‘Exceeded My Authority’ As Vice President
...Here are just some examples of Cheney abusing his vice presidential powers:
– Argued he was not part of the executive branch but instead a “barnacle” hanging between the legislative and executive branch.
– Cheney’s office failed to provide data on its classification and declassification activities as required by Executive Order 12958. “Cheney’s office provided the information in 2001 and 2002, then stopped.”
– Top Cheney aide David Addington “typed a substitute signature line” for Alberto Gonzales on a memo re-authorizing Bush’s illegal wiretapping program.
– “The Cheney team had…technological supremacy over the National Security Council staff. That is to say, they could read their e-mails,” said former Colin Powell aide Lawrence Wilkerson.
– Documents prepared for the then-National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice were “routed outside the formal process” to Cheney.
– A Cheney lawyer told the Secret Service in September 2006 “to eliminate data on who visited Cheney at his official residence.”
In addition to his well-documented disregard for the rule of law, Cheney admitted last year that he doesn’t care what the public thinks...
The men- if you could call them human- behind the Legend of the Big Time Dick? If he walks, David Addington and countless minions and enablers, private contractors and underworld spooks also walk.
And continue to operate, outside the law.